Thursday, September 15, 2016

Lisa's Review: Shoplifter

Shoplifter by Michael Cho

My Rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've never read a graphic novel, but decided to give it a try when the September mini-challenge for the 10th Annual Canadian Book Challenge was to read a Canadian graphic novel. I started with a list from the CBC of "10 Graphic Novels You Need to Read", and then searched to see if any would be available at my library here in New Hampshire. I thought that might be a long shot, but a few were available, so I picked up Shoplifter by Michael Cho.

I did enjoy reading a graphic novel. I liked the mix of the words of the story with also taking in the visual of what was going on. And I did like the visual aspect of Cho's novel. However, what was lacking for me was plot/storyline and likability of the main character. I think had the book been longer (it was pretty short) with the opportunity to explore the main character more, I might have enjoyed it more. I will give full disclosure here that I do not typically enjoy short stories for this reason. So I will definitely give graphic novel reading another try.   

This is my third book read for the 10th Annual Canadian Book Challenge and also completes the mini-challenge for September which was to read a graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...